Bridesmaids can often be the unsung heroes of weddings. They spend months planning the big day with you; going to wedding fairs, attending cake tastings, helping you to decide between ivory and cream wedding stationery, they are the ones that help to keep you calm and streamline the wedding planning process. There’s no arguing with the fact that bridesmaids put a lot of time and effort into helping you - aka the bride when it comes to wedding planning.
To thank each bridesmaid for helping out, it’s customary that at the rehearsal dinner before the wedding, that you present them with a gift. It’s also customary that beforehand you give a toast and raise a glass to each bridesmaid to thank them for everything that they’ve done. When it comes to selecting the perfect gift for your bridesmaids, the rules of etiquette state that the gifts should be a keepsake from your wedding as well as something that shows just how much you appreciate their help.
A lot of brides simply give their bridesmaids a set of faux pearl earrings or a unique key chain, but with all the hard work and effort they’ve put into making your big day special, they deserve more than that, they deserve a gift with meaning, sentiment and thought behind it - something that it’s obvious you’ve put time and thought into choosing.
To help make the process of choosing gifts for your bridesmaids easier, below is a list of some of the very best gift ideas that all bridesmaids are sure to love.
You can’t go wrong with jewelry
1. A personalized piece of jewelry: You really can’t go wrong with jewelry, especially when it’s personalized with a message of thanks to your bridesmaids. There are plenty of personalized jewelry options to choose from, from delicate and intricate necklaces to big, bold bracelets, it’s just a case of choosing a design that you know your bridesmaids will love. (It’s customary to give each bridesmaid the same gift, except for the maid of honor who normally gets something slightly different.)
2. Engraved jewelry box: Something a little different to the norm, an engraved jewelry box could make a fantastic thank you gift for your bridesmaids. There are some truly beautiful designs to choose from, from vintage-inspired silver plated pieces to modern designs made from rose gold and glass; it’s just a case of picking the design that each of your bridesmaids will love.
3. Make your own jewelry: A great way to make the gifts you give your bridesmaids unique and extra meaningful is to make them yourself. Perhaps you could attend a jewelry making workshop and make each bridesmaid a piece yourself, to show them just how much you appreciate their help and support throughout your wedding planning and in the lead-up to the big day. Or, if you’re not very creative, perhaps you could hire a jewelry specialist to bring to life jewelry designs you have created. What could be more personal than custom made jewelry designs that you've drawn?
4. Birthstone jewelry: Another great gift idea that your bridesmaids are sure to love is a piece of birthstone jewelry. If you know when each of your bridesmaids was born, you could pick out one jewelry design for everyone and then have each bridesmaid's individual birthstone put into their bracelet or necklace, to give it that unique and meaningful touch.
Tickets to an event always go down well
5. Tickets to a sports game: If your bridesmaids are keen sports fan, then perhaps tickets to an upcoming sports game could make the perfect gift? Whether your bridesmaids are into baseball, football, or hockey, tickets to see an upcoming game could make an incredible thank you gift. Just as long as they’re fans of the sport, that is. You can give each bridesmaid two tickets - one for her and one for her partner - or you could plan to go as a group, just you girls.
6. Passes for a concert: For bridesmaids that aren’t into sports, passes to a concert that you know they’ve been wanting to see could make a great gift. You could either give each bridesmaid one ticket and plan to go as a group, or you could give each bridesmaid two tickets - one for herself and one for a plus one of her choice, such as her partner.
7. Tickets to see a show: Is there a show that has a special meaning for you and your bridesmaids - perhaps something you all saw together as children? If there is a show that holds a special meaning for you and your bridesmaids, then tickets to see it could make the perfect gift.
8. An all-inclusive mini break: Although not technically an event, tickets for an all-inclusive mini break could make an ideal thank you gift for your bridesmaids and their partners. Perhaps there’s somewhere that each bridesmaid has always wanted to go, if so, consider sending them there for a weekend away.
It's pampering time
9. Spa day: After spending months helping to plan your wedding, your bridesmaids are most probably in need of a break. So a spa day could make the perfect gift for them, as it will allow them to spend some time relaxing and unwinding. Or, if a whole spa day is too expensive, perhaps you could book them in for a massage or a facial instead.
10. Beauty gift hamper: If your bridesmaids are into their beauty regimes, then a beauty gift hamper could make the ideal thank you present for them. What could be better gift for a beauty addict than a hamper of luxury beauty products? Pick out products that you know are suitable for each bridesmaid or personalize each hamper, such as by picking products made for each bridesmaid’s skin type, for instance. To give the gift a more personal feel, perhaps you could consider making some of the beauty products yourself, such as the soap or face cream, for instance. There are online tutorials for this, or you could opt to attend a class. Making your own beauty products is actually much easier than you would think.
11. Engraved compact mirror: How about giving each bridesmaid a beautifully engraved compact mirror to pop in her makeup bag? You can get some beautiful engravable mirror designs, so this could make the perfect gift for anyone with a love of beauty, plus it’s a bit different to the norm.
12. Designer makeup bag: Are your bridesmaids mad about makeup or a certain designer? Then why not treat them to a designer makeup bag as a thank you for helping you to plan and manage your wedding? Just make sure to pick a style and design that you know each bridesmaid would like.
13. Personalized makeup: Did you know that you can get personalized makeup and nail polish? To thank your bridesmaids for being there for you, why not buy each one a personalized makeup and nail polish set, complete with a personalized makeup bag? The colors you pick could match the wedding color scheme, perhaps? Or, you could choose each bridesmaid personalized products and a personalized makeup bag in her favorite color scheme.
14. Scented candles: Scented candles might seem like a strange gift, but they can actually make a great present. Put together a box of scented candles for each bridesmaid along with a couple of nice candle holders - Yankee Candles do some lovely ones. This might seem like a strange gift, but if your bridesmaids will get use out of it and cherish it, then it’s perfect.
15. Dinner at a posh restaurant: If you’re stuck for ideas and know that your bridesmaids are big foodies, dinner on you at a fancy restaurant is ideal. It might not be an actual gift, but it’s a great way to say thank you to your bridesmaids, especially if you’re happy to pay for them to eat somewhere fancy.
16. Gourmet dinner hamper: Instead of paying for your bridesmaids to go out for a fancy dinner, why not have a gourmet dinner hamper made up for them complete with champagne and everything that they need to cook a delicious three-course meal? If your bridesmaids love to cook, then this could make a fabulous gift.
17. Personalized prosecco: Who doesn’t love prosecco? To thank each bridesmaid for being there to support you and help you to plan your wedding, gift them with a bottle of personalized prosecco. Or, if you’re able to splurge, a personalized bottle of champagne. Whether you opt to give your bridesmaids champagne or prosecco, a personalized champagne glass to go with it is a must - for ideas Pinterest is fantastic.
18. Chocolate hamper: There’s nothing like some fancy truffles to say thank you, is there? A great thank you gift that your bridesmaids are sure to love is a chocolate hamper packed full of all sorts of chocolates and chocolate-themed gifts, such as chocolate liqueur, chocolate truffles, chocolate scented candles, chocolate macaroons, chocolate-scented body wash, chocolate tea - the list could go on and on. Unless someone doesn’t like chocolate, you can’t go wrong with a chocolate hamper.
19. Alcohol flavored sweets: There are lots of gourmet sweet companies that have started selling alcohol flavored sweets that would make perfect gifts for bridesmaids with a sweet tooth. So why not pick out a few of these alcoholic sweets, such as prosecco gummy bears, gin lollipops, mojito boiled sweets, and make them up into a little gift box along with a bottle of each alcohol? For bridesmaids with a sweet tooth and a love of cocktails, this could make an ideal thank you gift. There are plenty of companies that sell these, many of which offer a personalized gift box to place them in, so these could make the perfect thank you gift.
Accessories and decor
20. Personalized picture frame: There are lots of beautiful wall art ideas online for personalized bridesmaids picture frames. From photo board frames made up of vintage photos to scrapbook style wall art - there are plenty of designs to choose from. If you like the idea of thanking your bridesmaids with a personalized picture frame, make sure to pick a color scheme that’s neutral, and that will fit well in everyone’s homes.
21. Scrabble art: For a unique piece of decor, why not make each bridesmaid a piece of Scrabble wall art that either contains the names of each bridesmaid, the maid of honor, and your name - the bride, or have each board made up with the names of the bridesmaid’s family members. Either way, Scrabble wall art can make a fantastic thank you gift.
22. Puzzle keyrings: Admittedly, we may have mentioned that keyrings make terrible bridesmaid thank you gifts but puzzle keyrings don’t - these are keyrings made from one large keyring and then cut into puzzle-shaped pieces. Each bridesmaid has one, and they all connect up, signifying the special bond that you all share.
23. Frames quotes: How about thanking your bridesmaids by getting them each a framed quote that links to your friendship in one way or another? Or, what about having a quote that they’ve said or that you’ve said and that made them laugh, turned into art.
24. Ring dishes: What about getting each bridesmaid a beautiful ring dish to have on her dressing table? Pick a unique design and style and have a ring dish designed for each bridesmaid with their name or a special quote on - this is one gift everyone is guaranteed to love as it's so wonderfully cute and quirky.
25. Photo frames: Perhaps personalized photo frames could make an amazing thank you gift for your bridesmaids? If you have a photo of you all together, perhaps popping it into personalized photo frames could make an amazing gift and a wonderful keepsake.
Picking that perfect gift to thank your bridesmaids for everything that they’ve done to make the wedding planning process run more smoothly isn’t always easy, as it can be hard to know what to pick.
Ideally, you want to choose a thank you gift that shows your bridesmaids how much you value and appreciate them. You also want the gift that you choose to be something that each bridesmaid will love and cherish, that’s why it’s important to take your time choosing the perfect thing.
Hopefully, the ideas and suggestions above have given you plenty of inspiration for when it comes to picking the gifts to give your bridesmaids as a thank you.